Monday, March 1, 2010

Belgian brew...

A heavy box was hauled home!
Sweet! Unfortunately only half is mine, the rest is for Tobbe.
Getting closer:
Ok, went a bit over board with the photos but here's another shot:


A single bottle.
Ok, my expectations for the St. Bernardus Abt 12 was sky high. I poured a glass after I let the bottles rest for a while, the yeast was settled in the bottom of the bottle but the instant I opened the bottle cap the yeast particles spread everywhere in the beer! (Check the video)

There was some sediment left in the bottom but not as much as when one carefully pours a bottle of Rochefort 10. The bottles had been a few hours in the trunk of my car in sub zero temperature and was a bit too cold when I took the first sip. I was not as intense taste I expected after reading reviews but as the temperature of the beverage rise the flavours started to emerge.

The taste was excellent but in my opinion it didn't reach the heights of the Rochefort 10! The RF10 has a more full bodied taste, it's much more "heavy, which is both good and bad, depending on what your after at the moment. RF10 might be a bit overwhelming if drinking more than one in a evening, in that case the St. Bernardus Abt 12 is a better choice, I think, without testing it, yet... ;)

A (high key) video of the pouring:

(probably a cardinal sin pouring a St. Bernardus in a Rochefort glass. ;))

Conclusion: The Rochefort 10 still keeps it's number one spot on my personal list of favorite beers!

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, St. Bernadus Abt 12 is a "weaker" beer then RF10 but has a smoother taste. RF10 can be a bit harsh in some regards, especially the carbonate feeling on the tongue. Abt 12 feels more evolved and matured. I can't say which one is better, depends on the mood I guess. And one can have both in one evening. :D

    Drank one yesterday, also from a Rochefort glass...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, they are definitely different and suits depending on mood as you say. =)

    ReplyDelete